Tutu Puoane is one of the exciting voices on the international jazz scene today.
Born in Pretoria, South Africa in 1979, she studied at the Music College of the University of Cape Town (UCT) before moving to Europe in 2002.
She spent two years at the Royal Conservatory in The Hague (Netherlands) and eventually moved to Antwerp, Belgium in 2004.
Tutu’s music is a cross-over between European, American and South African traditions.
Her repertoire is a mix between own compositions, songs from the great american songbook and arrangements of South African originals.
She released six albums to date :
- ‘Song’ (2007), her quartet debut album
- ‘Quiet Now’ (2010), quartet
- ‘Breathe’ (2012), quartet
- ‘Mama Africa’ (2011) as a guest soloist with the Brussels Jazz Orchestra, one of Europe’s best bigbands, and
- ‘Live at the Roma’ (2013), a unique collaboration with the Flemish Philharmonic and Bert Joris.
- ‘iLanga’ (2014), quartet + 2 horns
Both ‘Quiet Now’ and ‘Mama Africa’ were awarded a South African Music Award (SAMA) for Best Jazz Album (in 2010 and 2011). ‘Breathe’ was the first release of SoulFactory Records.
Current projects :
- Currently Tutu is on tour with the Joni Mitchell Project, a tribute to the poetry and music of one of her absolute favorite artists. Featuring the amazing Dutch alto player Tineke Postma, her trusted piano player Ewout Pierreux, and Clemens van der Feen on bass and Jasper Van Hulten on drums. After a very successful spring tour, the project will play at the famous Dranouter Festival in the summer (Aug 4), and play the second leg of the tour in the fall of 2017.
- Tutu Puoane New Quartet, featuring Ewout Pierreux (piano), Nicolas Thys (bass) and Dré Pallemaerts (drums). This new line-up brings Tutu back to the voice + trio format. This band will play at the Joy Of Jazz Festival in Johannesburg in September 2017 and is ready to be booked into the future :-).
More info : www.tutupuoanemusic.com
For bookings please contact her booking agent Griet De Blende : email@example.com / www.rumoer.be