Tutu Puoane is one of the exciting voices on the international jazz scene today.
Born in Pretoria, South Africa in 1979, she studied at the Music College of the University of Cape Town (UCT) before moving to Europe in 2002.
She spent two years at the Royal Conservatory in The Hague (Netherlands) and eventually moved to Antwerp, Belgium in 2004.
Tutu’s music is a cross-over between European, American and South African traditions.
Her repertoire is a mix between own compositions, songs from the Great American Songbook and arrangements of South African originals.
- ‘Song’ (2007), her quartet debut album;
- ‘Quiet Now’ (2010), quartet;
- ‘Breathe’ (2012), quartet;
- ‘Mama Africa’ (2011) as a guest soloist with Brussels Jazz Orchestra;
- ‘Live at the Roma’ (2013), a unique collaboration with the Flemish Philharmonic and Bert Joris;
- ‘iLanga’ (2014), quartet + 2 horns;
- ‘The Joni Mitchell Project Live’ (2017), quintet feat. Tineke Postma
- ‘We Have A Dream’ (2018), coöperation with Brussels Jazz Orchestra.
Both ‘Quiet Now’ and ‘Mama Africa’ were awarded a South African Music Award (SAMA) for Best Jazz Album (in 2010 and 2011). ‘Breathe’ was the first release of SoulFactory Records.
More info : www.tutupuoanemusic.com
For bookings please contact her booking agent Griet De Blende : email@example.com / www.rumoer.be